Lehua is a small, crescent-shaped island in the Hawaiian islands, only 0.7 miles north of Niʻihau, due west of Kauai. The uninhabited, 284-acre barren island is a tuff cone which is part of the extinct Niʻihau volcano. Lehua was one of the first five islands sighted by Captain James Cook in 1778 which he spelled as “Oreehoua”. Lehua Island is a Hawaii State Seabird Sanctuary. As a sanctuary, many activities are prohibited on the island, but entry is not prohibited.